Friday, July 09, 2010

What I Learned At My First Booksigning

I had my first booksigning at the Black Writers Reunion and Conference on Jun 24th, 2010. The experience was unlike any other--I can't describe it. It was a great success, and I'd like to share what I've learned.

1) Make sure you have ALL your booksigning accessories before the event. Postcards, business cards, poster, pens, receipt tablet, bookmarks, flyers, water bottles, charged laptop (and accessories) sunny disposition--account for all of them. Of course, don't forget your books, too.

2) Don’t party like it’s 1999 the night before. This moment definitely calls for celebration, but do that after the book signing. You should be wide-eyed and alive the day of, not looking like someone who just left the club. Who wants to buy a book from someone reeking of alcohol, anyway?

3) Dress to impress. I don't think a suit and tie or evening gown is necessary, but something semi-formal and presentable (i.e., blazer and nice jeans for the guys). Remember, this may be the first and only time potential customers see you in person. You want to make a great first impression!

4) Bring an assistant. If you can get one, of course. You want to engage your readers as much as possible while someone else takes care of the money transactions and other behind-the-scenes work. Luckily for me, I had my two Pantheon Collective co-warriors by my side.

5) Have a great pitch ready. Somebody asks you, "Wow...Sellout, huh? What's it about?" Now is not the time for a barrage of "ums" and "uhs." I admit, I fumbled a few times, but hey, practice makes perfect. Having a good pitch memorized will help keep the jumpy nerves down. And you might want to keep the gum, chew or food out your mouth, too.

6) Stand up and keep smiling. If you're standing, you catch people's attention more and it's hard to pass up a great smile. If you're sitting down, a stack of books or your poster may block your face and make you look unapproachable, especially if you're not smiling. People want to know the person behind the book, so let them see you and the pearly whites.

7) Engage passerby’s. Even if a customer walks by, try to engage them, especially if they have that I'm-not-sure-if-I-want-to-stop-at-this-table-but-it-seems-interesting look. There's no harm in asking them to come over. If they're still not moved by your pitch, maybe you can at least get their information on a mailing list or give them a business card.

8) Get contact info from buyers. If someone parts from their hard-earned cash to buy your book, you should send a follow-up "thank you" to them.

9) Autograph their book. Readers love a personal message from the author. Make sure you ask how to spell their name first! “Toni,” “Tonie,” “Tony” and “Tonee” all sound the same, but spelled differently.

10). Support your fellow author in the struggle. Hey, we’re all in this together! Support by buying a book or two from your authors-in-arms. It’s all about helping out each other, right?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Karen O'Bannon said...

Good information. Happy for your success

13 July, 2010 18:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home